Northern Territory’s iconic Larapinta Trail is set to bloom this season with a stunning array of wildflowers – thanks to heavy rain.
There are plenty of reasons to visit the Larapinta Trail this year, with World Expeditions launching five niche trips as well as its other five trail options.
The new trips include a women’s only adventure, a “challenger” itinerary for hard core walkers, an inspirational “Awakenings” trip, a yoga and meditation-based “Goddess” walk and an Art Expedition, designed for aspiring artists to collaborate and learn from each other.
World Expeditions CEO, Sue Badyari, says the sustained interest in the Larapinta has prompted the company to develop the new range of niche itineraries to offer past trekkers a different experience on the trail.
“We’ve noticed a lot of repeat travellers booking their second and third trips and we hope the new trips will give more people a reason to return,” Ms Badyari says.
“Ranging from our yoga-based Goddess trip, through to the 9 day Challenger trip, there’s a Larapinta experience to suit a wide range of budgets and fitness levels,” she says.
“And with the rains transforming the centre from red to green, it’s an ideal time to get out and experience this stunning part of Australia.”
Ten ways to experience the Larapinta Trail
1.Larapinta Challenger Trek – 6 days – This is a 6 day trek along some of the toughest sections along the Larapinta. This trek is designed to challenge both seasoned walkers and fitness enthusiasts alike; with guests walking up to 30kms each day, passing over remote ridges and canyons whilst winding along the West Macdonnell Ranges. This trip is hard yakka… are you up for the challenge?
2.Larapinta Goddess Walk – 3 days – Join our all female active adventure to experience the rejuvenating beauty of the Larapinta Trail. Combining yoga and meditation sessions with invigorating walks, this is the ultimate trip for your inner Goddess.
3.Larapinta Awakenings with Leah Gilbert – 5 days – Join Body Positive Athlete Leah Gilbert on an outback discovery and enjoy selected day walks along one of Australia’s most iconic walking trails.
4. Art Expedition Larapinta – 6 days – Guided artists excursions in Central Australia’s West MacDonnell Ranges. Led by art teacher Michael Herron with comfortable outback camping, this trip allows both amateur and professional artists to capture the inspiration of the Red Centre.
5. Women’s Classic Larapinta Trek in Comfort – 6 days – Join our all women’s adventure staying in stylish, comfortable semi-permanent campsites while enjoying a guided walk along Australia’s most iconic desert trek.
6. Larapinta Experience in Comfort – 3 Days – This short 3-day trip offers a great introduction to trekking in the Red Centre with a selection of day walks on our favourite sections of the Larapinta Trail.Classic Larapinta Trek in Comfort – 6 Days – World Expeditions’ most popular
7. Larapinta Trek visiting Simpsons Gap, Standley Chasm and Mt Sonder. Carrying only a daypack, you will stay at our exclusive permanent campsites and walk between 8 – 18 km each day with all equipment transported by vehicle.
8. Best of the Larapinta Trail – 9 days – Take an extended trek along the Larapinta Trail and experience the best sections of Australia’s most celebrated desert walk. With wilderness camping, scenic viewpoints and achievable challenges, this trek takes you across some of the remote ridges and canyons, walking up to 30kms each day.
9.Larapinta End to End – 14 Days – Our complete traverse of the 223km Larapinta is an inspiring trek that will delight the wilderness lover and challenge the seasoned walker. As with all out our treks on the Larapinta Trail, you will only carry your daypack. The Larapinta End to End is a 4WD supported trek in remote basic bush camps.
10.Walk the Larapinta on a self-guided trip If you are more of an independent walker eager to walk at your own pace, book onto one of our self-guided treks. With 3, 6, 9 and 12-day self-guided Larapinta treks, these are ideal for the confident and independent traveller with support in the background. Choose from 12 different sections of the Larapinta Trail (just make sure they are consecutive), and World Expeditions will manage transfers, food drops and more.